Types of Bone Fractures from Car Accidents

Types of Bone Fractures from Car Accidents

Bone fractures tend to range from minor to severe. Severe bone fractures can take close to a year to fully heal and may require surgery, prolonged hospital stays, and physical therapy that lasts years. Medical expenses for these necessities can add up fast. However, if you suffered bone injuries from a car accident caused by a negligent driver, then you may be entitled to compensation. An Oklahoma personal injury lawyer may be able to help you earn compensation for your injuries in addition to pain and suffering.

Main Types of Bone Fractures

The first sign of a bone fracture is pain followed by redness, bruising, and swelling. It is a good idea to seek medical attention even if you think the fracture is minor because a professional examination might reveal shattered bones or misalignments that could cause greater damage later on.

Types of Bone Fractures from Car AccidentsStable fractures occur in straight lines, transverse fractures are horizontal, and oblique fractures occur at an angle. Many transverse fractures are hairline fractures, which normally heal within a short time. This is because hairline fractures are not full breaks in the bone and therefore require less bone building.

Open compound and comminuted fractures are considered severe. Open compound breaks are bones that pierce through the skin and often require stitches and realignment. Comminuted fractures are shattered bones that usually need surgery to put the pieces back together. Unusable fragments are removed while remaining bones are held together with metal screws and rods.

What Compensation Can I Receive?

Bone fractures are considered personal injuries if they occur by the fault of someone else. This is called negligence and if you believe the other driver’s negligence caused the car accident, then you may be able to seek compensation for damages. The severity of your injuries and overall condition will determine which damages you can seek to sue for.

Compensatory damages are what almost anyone with physical injuries can sue for because these cover medical expenses and lost wages. Even mild hairline fractures often take a month to heal. If hairline fracture is on a person’s leg, that person will likely have to take a month off from work if their position requires a lot of physical activity.

Pain and suffering damages are used for the severe types of bone injuries that last several months and cause extreme discomfort. People who require surgery, long hospital stays, and physical therapy may be eligible for these types of  damages. Loss of enjoyment may be used in cases of permanent damage from spine, skull, or comminuted fractures.

Oklahoma City Auto Accident Lawyer

Bone fractures can cause a lot of unnecessary pain and financial losses. You should not have to pay for the damages someone else caused. Some insurance companies will offer you enough compensation to cover your expenses, but not all of them will be fair. Call the Law Firm of Griffin Reynolds at (405) 721-9500 to talk with an Oklahoma car accident lawyer today. We offer free consultation for personal injuries caused by car accidents and nursing home abuse.