What You Should Know About DMV and Police Reports

What You Should Know About DMV and Police Reports

Most people know the laws surrounding car accidents that require people to report what happened to the police and their insurance company, but not everyone knows when they are also required to report to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Police reports come with certain requirements and understanding them can make the process run smoother. These reports may be used for proof of the accident, evidence, or statistics regarding local or national car accidents. An Oklahoma car accident lawyer can answer any questions you may have about when you are required to file these reports and how to file them.

When Do I Report to the DMV?

Each state has its own rules concerning when you should file an accident report to the DMV. In most cases, you will need to file a report if the accident resulted in severe property damages, death, or damages other than injuries and vehicle repairs.

What You Should Know About DMV and Police ReportsIf the amount of property damage caused by the accident goes beyond a set amount, you will be required to file a report. The threshold for this amount varies by state. You will also need to submit a report if you or someone else experienced personal injuries from the accident. It does not matter how severe the injuries are.

Depending on your state laws, the police or you may have to file the report. It is a good idea to consult with a lawyer about your state’s laws to make sure the right steps are taken. Time is not on your side. You only have a certain amount of time after the accident to file a report. There can be legal consequences for not filing a report within this time.

Some states will suspend your driver’s license or will fine you.

The Police Report Process

Police reports are vital sources of information for your insurance company, lawyer, and the court if you have to file a lawsuit or defend yourself. Mandatory reasons to file a police report are similar to reasons to file a DMV report. However, it is considered safer to file a police report even for minor car accidents.

The first thing you will be required to do for a police report is to describe as many details as possible. You will be asked to describe what happened and who was with you in your car. Also prepare to give information regarding the other driver’s name, insurance information, your vehicle damages, and injuries to anyone involved. A police officer will take this information and submit this to the local police department.

After a few days, you will be able to request a copy of the police report. This copy should be included with your insurance claim if you suspect the accident was caused by the other driver.

Oklahoma Auto Accident Attorney

You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and other expenses if the accident was caused by the other driver. An Oklahoma auto accident lawyer can help you determine why the other driver was negligent. Call the Law Firm of Griffin Reynolds today at (405) 721-9500 for a free consultation. We will work with you to investigate your claim to help you earn fair compensation from the insurance company.